- Click on “Building Your 4-D Systems-based Business”to learn how we can help you build your 4-D business.
- Click on the “Become a Provider” tab to register with us and receive your free Assessment Management dashboard – a core development tool.
- Click on the “Preferred Providers” tab to see how to qualify, or to contact a current “Preferred Provider.”
- Click on the “Articles…” tab to read dozens of articles and videos
The animation in the center shows the progress that recurrent Team Development Assessments (TDAs) stimulated in 200 NASA project, engineering, and management teams. Click on "The Fifth Force" link beneath the animation to see our latest briefing.
- Click on the “Development Assessments” tab to view step-by-step instructions on using our powerful Team and Individual Development (Assessments).
- Click on the “4-D Workshops” tab for step-by-step instructions on delivering 4-D Systems workshops.
- Click on the “CSW” tab to learn about our potent Context Shifting Worksheet (“CSW”).
"Charlie Pellerin invented a way for team members to achieve superior business performance and in the process live richer and more compassionate lives. By teaching us how to understand our customer's mindset and then to authentically shape our offering in response, he helped us win three major competitive proposals worth $9 billion."
- Greg Davidson, Director of Capture and Proposal Operations, Northrop Grumman Space Technology
Become a 4-D Network Provider to manage the delivery of 4-D services to your team, or clients. All 4-D intellectual property is free, with exception of How NASA Builds Teams (Wiley, 2009) and on-line assessment reports (at wholesale prices).
Step 1: Click on “4-D Network Members Overview” to use our brief on-line Learning Tool.
Step 2: Click “Give me my Assessment Management Dashboard” to receive your free Assessment Management Dashboard (includes a free assessment).
Step 3: To learn how to brief potential clients, click on “Fifth Force”, then the "Fifth Force Learning Tool”.
Step 4: Improve your confidence by watching Charlie explain the (somewhat outdated) briefing at “New Client Briefing Videos”.
Ever wondered how you and your team stack up against the very best at NASA? Through this book, you can dare to find out. But more importantly, if you (like me) didn't like the answer to this question, what would you do about it?I have felt the power of Charlie's technology. It offers not only candid feedback, but also the tools to make real and measurable improvement. That it's presented using colorful examples and an easy reading style makes it all the more compelling.
- Tim Barnett, founder, Caledonia Wealth Management, Ltd.
Click on “Preferred 4-D Network Providers” to see who these entities are We confer “Preferred” status when we can assure potential clients that these providers are highly-qualified 4-D service providers. These are routes to preferred status:
- Attend a three–day 4-D Workshop as an observer;
- Put serious effort into staffing a 4-D capability;
- Have strong recommendations from other preferred 4-D providers; and/or
- Build trusting relationships with 4-D principals.
In other words, demonstrate to us through your actions that you both embody and can effectively provide 4-D services to clients.
This book is an extraordinary guide to how to build effective teams to solve technical problems. The insights, based on years of experience in building teams for NASA, reveal a deep understanding of how technical people interact and can be motivated to work more effectively. Any organization where success requires a motivated technical staff will benefit from this readable book.
- Dr. Len Fisk, NASA Head of Space Science, 1985-1992
Launching a Team or Individual Development (Assessment) (TDA) takes the following steps:
- Get a free Assessment Management Dashboard by clicking on “Give me my Assessment Management Dashboard” – it is generally self-explanatory, by design.
- Click on “Assessment Participant Selection” – provides helpful guidance about setting up assessments.
- Click on “Briefing Assessment Reports” – provides some suggestions.
Simply put, Team and Individual Development Assessments (TDAs & IDAs) are the most effective performance enhancement (and risk reduction) tools in existence. Nothing demonstrates the effectiveness of a 4-D Team Development Assessment (TDA) like experiencing one.
Option 1: Click on “Preferred 4-D Network Providers” and request a TDA for your team (or an IDA for yourself). (Providers in North America and India frequently provide a free one-time introductory TDA, including end-to-end management of the process.)
Option 2: Click on “Give me my Assessment Management Dashboard”, to request your free 4-D Assessment Management Dashboard. It provides an easy way for you to self-manage TDAs and IDAs. Your dashboard includes one free Assessment and the ability for you to waive our fees in specified circumstances. We otherwise invoice you for (non-fee-waived) Assessments that we deliver to you.
Click “TDA click-through” to review the language of a TDA and “ABC Team’s TDA Report”. Similarly, click on “IDA click-through” to review the language of an IDA and “John Smith’s IDA Report”.
For processing “Bottom Quintile’ TDA scores, download the “Seven Deadly Sins” and “Seven Deadly Sins PowerPoint Slides”.
Dr. Pellerin knows how NASA works from long experience within the organization, and years of collaboration with the agency from outside. What he has learned about how NASA puts together teams to attain out-of-this-world goals will help you and your organization achieve your goals.
- Dr. Michael D. Griffin, NASA Administrator, 2005-2009
Delivering hundreds of three-day 4-D Workshops, we learned many important things. Here are two. First, for “intact teams,” a group of people who work together, the optimum workshop duration is three-days—anything less is far less effective. Thus, the term “Workshop” means three-day event to us. In contrast, we only offer one-day “Introduction” events for groups of unassociated people, PMI members, for example.
Step 1: Complete the “4-D Workshop Learning Tool”.
Step 2: Go to “Workshop Assets” process files — you can download all the files at once, or the individual files.
Step 3: View The Fifth Force Slide Deck narrated by Charlie.
We also recommend three one-day events:
A Speech: If you want to give a speech on the 4-D System, please download the color “Fifth Force” briefing and associated manuscript.
The compelling thing about Charlie Pellerin’s 4-D System is that it works. As a senior NASA leader, I witnessed a literal transformation as the 4-D system took root in our culture. In How NASA Builds Teams, Dr. Pellerin tells the 4-D story with concrete examples and clear analysis. I endorse this book in the strongest possible terms. However, what matters most is how the book’s “4-D System” has enhanced the lives and careers of thousands of practitioners."
- Rex D. Geveden, Former NASA Chief Engineer
The “Context Shifting Worksheet (CSW)” launches you into the wonderful world of context management. When I worked as a consultant, clients only called me when they had a problem that was unsolvable as they had defined it. I recalled Einstein’s famous quote, “You cannot solve a problem with the level of thinking that created it.” I say, “You cannot solve a problem in the context that created it.” Here are a few examples from How NASA Builds Teams.
I believe that if you have read and internalized the core messages in How NASA Builds Teams, you can easily go through the CSW yourself. Here are some typical applications:
- Interpersonal difficulties;
- You want to influence another entity (person or organization) to give you what you want (recall the examples above regarding garnering profits and winning proposals);
- You want to give a powerful speech (recall the analysis of President’s speeches);
- You want to deliver bad news because, “When Dimensions are omitted, people under stress fill them with their most toxic emotions and most pathological Story-lines.”); and
- The Situation seems irresolvable and includes some kind of personal or organizational interface.
Charlie Pellerin, using extensive, real-world examples, has developed the “4-D” process, providing deep insight into team performance. His book contains tools, attitudes, and habits to improve toward greatness. I find Charlie’s ideas persuasive and his explanations extremely clear. I strongly endorse this book. I believe the reader will find it entertaining as well as a wonderful approach to forge a more successful team. When I developed GPS, I wish it had been available to me.
- Dr. Brad Parkinson, first Program Director and Chief Architect of the Global Positioning System (GPS)